BA Development Studies (SJP) PG. Dip. Econ. Development (Colombo) MBA (SJP); MA Econ. (Colombo) PhD Econ (QLD), Grad Cert in University Teaching & Learning (CSturt)
Yapa Bandara has many years of teaching experience at university level in Australia and overseas. Prior to the commencement of his PhD research work at the University of Queensland in 1998 and later joining the CSU, Yapa had been a senior academic staff member at the University of Sri Jayewardenepure, Sri Lanka and held many academic and administrative responsibilities. He has taught/coordinated a wide range of subjects in Business and Economics at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
His current research interests include: Policy reforms and economic growth in developing countries, Productivity and Efficiency Analysis and Trade and Investment related issues. He is also the author of a number of journal articles, book chapters, and a co-author of an edited book.
Yapa's research interests are primarily on Foreign Direct Investment, Trade and development, Growth and productivity, Productivity and Efficiency Analysis. Some of his past research has focused on Trade liberalisation and productivity growth in manufacturing sector in Sri Lanka, Technical Efficiency growth in manufacturing Industries in Sri Lanka, Role of FDI in China's Economic Development and Determinants of Australian Outward Foreign Direct Investment.
His recent contribution to Teaching & Learning includes the DVD /CD on "Report Writing in Economics" developed with Professor Eddie Oczkowski, School of Management and Marketing, Charles Sturt University.
1. Aus-Aid grant of $136,606 in 2012 for the project: "Achieving balanced growth in China" with John Hicks, Kishor Sharma, and PK Basu.
Outcome: (i). Training provided to 6 Chinese Scholars at CSU.
(ii). Few Journal articles are being edited.
2. Faculty of Business Compact funding of $ 8000 in 2012 for the project: "Role of production fragmentation in Australian Trade pattern" with Kishor Sharma.
Outcome: One journal article is being written
3. Aus-Aid Grant of $143,855 in 2011 for the project: "Sustaining Economic Growth in China" with Kishor Sharma and John Hicks.
Outcome: (i). Training provided to 6 Chinese scholars at CSU.
(ii). Few Journal submissions.
4. Institute of Land Water & Society (ILWS) Teaching Buy-Out Grant of $28000 during Spring 2007 to identify and develop research projects that promote regional development.Outcome: Eddie Oczkowski and Yapa Bandara (2013), "Modelling agricultural land
use allocation in regional Australia", Australian Journal of Agricultural
and Resource Economics, 57, pp. 422–440.
5. Asia-Pacific Futures Research Network grant of $10,000 in 2007 for the project: 'Health and Education Implications of China's Accession to WTO".Outcome: (i). International conference held at CSU, Wagga Wagga campus,
in April 2008 on Socio Economic Development in China.
(ii). "WTO Accession and Socio-Economic Development in China",
edited book with PK Basu (2009), Chandos Publishing (Oxford)
Limited, UK; now under Elsevier Inc.
(iii). Three book chapters in the above book.
6. CSU CompetitiveGrant of $ 12,000 in 2006 for the project, "Determinants of Australia's Foreign Direct Investment" with Kishor Sharma. Outcome: Kishor Sharma and Yapa Bandara(2010), "Trends, Patterns and
Determinants of Australian Foreign Direct Investments". Journal of
Economic Issues, Vol. XLIV, Number 3, pp.661-676
7. Learning & Teaching grant of $ 2000 in 2006 for developing a Digital Learning and Teaching material on 'How to write an Analytical/Research/Project Report in ECO 120 Macroeconomics'.
Outcome: (i) A CD/ DVD on "Report Writing in Economics" was produced, revised and made available to both DE and internal ECO120 students from Spring 2008.
(ii). Conference presentation at the CSUED 2019.
(iii). A journal article is being written with Barney Dalgano on the
"Evaluation of the CD/DVD on report writing in Economics".
Recent Research Supervisions:
Commitment to Teaching & Learning: